Lazio striker Ciro immobile has clung the 2019/2020 European golden shoe title beating Roberto Lewandoski, lionel Messi, and Ronaldo after he saw the back of the net 36 times in the Italian Serie-A.
He won the title and became the second player to reach 36 goals in a Serie-A campaign after Gonzalo Higuain did it in the 2015/16 season. Bayern Munich striker Roberto Lewandoski sits on the second position behind immobile with 34 goals. Ronaldo of Juve also stays in the third position with 31 goals.
The award is based on points rather than just goals alone and they are also affected by UEFA’s coefficient rankings. The goals are been multiplied by a certain figure according to the strength of the league each player plays in. Goals in Europe’s largest leagues are multiplied by a coefficient of 2. However, goals that are scored in lower leagues are multiplied by coefficients of either 1.5 or 1.
Immobile beats Christiano Ronaldo to the highest goal scorer in the Italian Serie-A season after he scored 35 goals in 36 matches. Ronaldo was close to beat immobile but he was benched in the last match of the season.
Barcelona superstar, Lionel Messi stays in the list after registering 25 goals, Jamie Vardy of Leicester also has 23 goals and Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who has 22 goals.
List of golden shoe winners
- Ciro Immobile: (Lazio – Italian Serie A) 36 goals/72 points
- Robert Lewandowski: (Bayern Munich – German Bundesliga) 34 goals/68 points
- Cristiano Ronaldo: (Juventus – Italian Serie A) 31 goals/62 points
- Timo Werner: (RB Leipzig – German Bundesliga) 28 goals/ 56 points
- Lionel Messi: (FC Barcelona – Spanish LaLiga) 25 goals/50 points
- Erling Haaland: (Borussia Dortmund and RedBull Salzburg – German Bundesliga and Austrian Bundesliga) 29 goals/50 points
- Jamie Vardy: (Leicester City – English Premier League) 23 goals/46 points
- Romelu Lukaku: (Inter Milan – Italian Serie A) 23 goals/46 points
They will all be expected to retain their standard when competitive football returns after a short break for the 2020-21 season. It’s immobile who can revel in the fact that he currently sits at the top of the European goals chart. Immobile also has the advantage to increase his tally with Serie-A that is regarded as the last major division in Europe to finish the campaign. Romelu Lukaku is the only player who has the opportunity to reach Immobile’s record. But he has to break an all-time record before he can reach that height.