The plan of allowing fans in the field during live sports events in England from October 1 has been paused. Michael Gove who is the cabinet officer said. The plans were placed under review earlier this month after an increase of coronavirus cases, with pilot events restricted to 1,000 people.
The UK coronavirus alert level has increased to 4, this means the transmission is high or rising rapidly. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will outline a new set of measures Tuesday.
When speaking to BBC Breakfast, Michael Gove admitted that the allowance of fans into sports grounds will be postponed due to the unending coronavirus cases.
He said, “We were looking at a stage program of more people returning. It was not going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums crowded with fans. “We are looking at how we can for the moment, pause that program. But what we want to do is to make sure that as and when circumstances allow get more fans back.
“The virus is less likely to spread outside than inside but its in the nature of sports that there is a lot of mingling.
Major sports in England have been played behind closed doors since the coronavirus lockdown in March. The premier league, FA Cup, England Test Cricket, and two formula 1 races were also held. And were played behind closed doors. Events that took place with a full audience before fixtures were postponed have come under serious scrutiny.
The impact of the champions league match between Liverpool and Athletico Madrid on the spread of coronavirus is being investigated. There have also been alerts for investigation if the Cheltenham festival should have gone ahead.
Some cross-sport working groups have been working out plans which would allow the safe return of fans to watch live sport.
The department for digital sports, culture, and media was tasked with co-ordinating that work. They had told Sky Sports News consecutively that October 1 was an aspirational date which they would work all work towards.